Virginia Tech® home

International Student Admissions

International Student Status

You are an international student if:

  • You are NOT a citizen or permanent resident of the U.S.
  • You meet the minimum application requirements for admission.
  • You are pursuing an undergraduate degree (either as a first-year, transfer, or visiting non-degree student).

International Application Deadlines

  • Early Action: November 15
  • Regular Decision: January 15
  • Transfer - Spring: October 1
  • Transfer - Summer/Fall: March 1

Cost and Expenses

International students who will be entering Virginia Tech as F-1 student visa holders must show evidence of sufficient funds to cover their first year of study at Virginia Tech before the required I-20 immigration form can be issued by the university. The I-20 will be needed for the F-1 student visa interview.

International students who will be entering Virginia Tech as J-1 bilateral exchange students must show at least $6,000 USD for each semester they wish to study at Virginia Tech before the required DS-2019 form can be issued by the university. The DS-2019 will be needed for the J-1 student visa interview.

Although U.S. Immigration Service regulations permit F-1 and J-1 student visa holders to work on campus, employment opportunities on campus are extremely limited. F-1 and J-1 visa holders are not allowed to work off campus without work authorization. Any off-campus employment MUST be approved by the International Student Advisor at the university and/or USCIS.

International students holding other visa statuses should be aware that visa regulations are substantially different for each type of visa. If you have a question regarding the regulations for your visa status, please contact the Cranwell International Center at

Room and Board

  • First-year students are required to live on campus at Virginia Tech and can expect to pay the on-campus residence hall expense.
  • First-year students who are over 21 years of age are permitted to live off campus.
  • Students past their first year are not guaranteed housing on campus and should plan their finances as though space will not be available.
  • Students who will be bringing family members are not permitted to live in the residence halls.
  • Students who will be living off campus are usually required to sign twelve-month apartment leases; hence, the off-campus living expense is calculated for a full year rather than an academic year.
  • Please note that in the U.S. after signing any housing contract (lease), the lease cannot be broken and terms cannot be changed for any reason.

Computer Requirement

All entering students are required to have a personal computer. Students offered admission will receive additional information regarding specifications and purchase options. Information is also available at

Visa Information

F-1 or J-1 Transfer Clearance Form: This form must be completed by all first-year applicants attending high school in the United States and transfer students attending college in the U.S. who hold an F-1 or J-1 visa. Please complete and return this form to Virginia Tech. Students who cannot show evidence of their legal status in the United States cannot be issued an I-20 or DS-2019 for Virginia Tech.